Wilcox County


Click map for more
county information

Wilcox County was created from Dooly, Irwin, and Pulaski counties on Dec. 22, 1857 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1857, p. 46).

Wilcox County was named for Gen. Mark Wilcox (1799-1850), who fought in the Indian wars. On three different occasions (1825-28, 1832-34, and 1842-43), Wilcox represented Telfair County in the Georgia House of Representatives, where he worked for creation of the Georgia Supreme Court.

In 1905 and 1906 respectively, portions of Wilcox County were used to create Turner and Ben Hill counties.

Wilcox County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Wilcox County Page