Newton County


Click map for more
county information

Newton County was created from Henry, Jasper, and Walton counties on Dec. 24, 1821 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1821, p. 38). Georgia's 53rd county was named for Revolutionary War hero Sgt. John Newton (1755-1780). The area that became Newton County originally was Creek Indian lands ceded by the Treaty of Fort Wilkinson (1802), Treaty of the Creek Agency (1818), and Treaty of the Indian Spring (1821).

Newton County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
 
1822
 
1823
 
1830
 
1834
 
1839
 
1846
 
1855
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Newton County Page