Crawford County


Click map for more
county information

Crawford County was one of four counties created on Dec. 9, 1822, by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1822, p. 21). Crawford County was created entirely from Houston County. In 1824, portions of the Crawford County were used to create Upson County. In 1826, the portion of the Old Creek Agency Reserve on the east side of the Flint River was added to Crawford County (Ga. Laws 1826, p. 60). Georgia's 57th county was named for William H. Crawford (1772-1834), former U.S. Senator and U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, as well as Georgia's first candidate for U.S. President (1824).

Crawford County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
1823
 
1830
 
1834
 
1839
 
1846
 
1855
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Crawford County Page