Coffee County


Click map for more
county information

Coffee County was created by an act of the General Assembly approved on Feb. 9, 1854 (Ga. Laws 1854, p. 294). This area originally was Creek land. Most of the county was ceded to Georgia by the Treaty of Fort Jackson in 1814, though the northern portion was ceded in Jan. 1818 by the Treaty of the Creek Agency. On Dec. 15, 1818, the Georgia legislature divided the lands ceded by the two treaties into Appling, Early, and Irwin counties. Most of what would later become Coffee County fell in the original boundaries of Appling County, though the legislature transferred much of this area to Telfair County in 1819 and 1825. When Coffee County was created in 1854, it was formed primarily from the region of Telfair County south of the Ocmulgee River, with smaller portions added from Irwin, Clinch, and Ware counties.

Georgia's 108th county was named for former soldier, state legislator, and congressman John Coffee (1782-1836).

Portions of Coffee County were used to create the following counties: Berrien (1856), Jeff Davis (1905), and Atkinson (1917).

Coffee County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
1855
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Coffee County Page