Chattooga County


Click map for more
county information

Chattooga County was created on Dec. 28, 1838 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1838, p. 77). Created from Walker and Floyd counties, Chattooga County's original boundaries were defined by law as:

. . . beginning on the Alabama line, at the corner of the 12th and 13th districts of the fourth section, and running thence east on said district line to the north east corner of the twenty-fifth district and third section, thence south on the district line to the south east corner of the same district, thence west of the district line to the north west corner of lot number five, in the 24th district of the third section, thence on a direct line to be run by the Surveyor for the county of Floyd, by the way of the south west corner of the fifth district and fourth section.

Georgia's 93rd county was named for the Chattooga River that flows through the county. [Georgia has two different Chattooga rivers, with the second forming the eastern border of Rabun County in extreme northeastern Georgia.] "Chattooga" is a Cherokee word of debated origin and definition.

Between 1840 and 1856, the General Assembly transferred land between Chattooga and Floyd counties on ten occasions.

Chattooga County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
1846
 
1855
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Chattooga County Page