Camden County


Click map for more
county information

The land that would form Camden County was ceded to the English by the Creeks in the Treaty of Savannah on May 21, 1733, confirmed and expanded by agreements of 1735 and 1736. By an act of March 15, 1758, the colonial legislature created seven parishes. With the outbreak of the American Revolution, Whig forces took control of government in Georgia. On Feb. 5, 1777, they adopted the state's first constitution -- the Constitution of 1777. Art. IV of that document transformed the existing colonial parishes into seven counties, with Indian ceded lands forming an eighth county. Camden County, which was last on the list and thus is considered Georgia's eighth county, consisted of Saint Thomas and Saint Mary parishes (see map). The county was named for the Earl of Camden, who supported the American colonies' cause prior to the Revolution.

In 1854, the legislature took land from Camden County to form Charlton County.

Camden County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
1777
 
1796
 
1822
 
1823
 
1830
 
1834
 
1839
 
1846
 
1855
 
1863
 
1864a
 
1864b
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Camden County Page