Appling County


Click map for more
county information

Appling County was created by an act of the General Assembly approved Dec. 15, 1818 (Ga. Laws 1818, p. 27). Georgia's 42nd county was created from Creek lands ceded in the Treaty of Fort Jackson (1814) and the Treaty of the Creek Agency (1818). The county was named for Col. Daniel Appling (1787-1815), Georgia's most noted hero of the War of 1812.

In 1824, the legislature created Ware County from Appling County. Also, portions of Appling County were used to create the following counties: Pierce (1857), Jeff Davis (1905), and Bacon (1914).

Appling County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
1822
 
1823
 
1830
 
1834
 
1839
 
1846
 
1855
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Appling County Page