Carmichael, James V.
James V. Carmichael was born in Cobb County, Georgia on October 2, 1910. While in high school, he was critically injured when struck by a passing motorist outside the family store on the old Dixie Highway (present-day Atlanta Road). This forced him to use a cane, crutches, or a wheelchair for the rest of his life. A graduate of Emory Law School, Carmichael was elected in 1935 to the Georgia legislature, where he served two terms. Along with his law partner, Marietta mayor Rip Blair, he played a pivotal role in bringing the Bell Aircraft plant to Marietta. In 1944, Carmichael became general manager of the Marietta branch, supervising a work force of almost 29,000 workers who built 669 B-29 bombers. In 1946 he was a candidate for governor, receiving the largest number of popular votes ever in a Democratic primary to that time, but losing the county-unit vote to Gene Talmadge. From 1947 until his retirement in 1965, Carmichael was president of Scripto, Inc. However, in 1951 he took a leave from Scripto to head up the Georgia Division of Lockheed, which took over the facilities abandoned by Bell Aircraft at the end of World War II. Carmichael stayed as vice president and general manager of the Georgia Division until the end of the Korean War. He was on Lockheed’s board of directors from 1952 to 1972. In 1965 Gov. Carl Sanders appointed Carmichael to the Board of Regents of the University System, a position he held until 1972. The student center at Kennesaw State University is named in his memory. Carmichael died on November 28, 1972. [Contributed by Dr. Tom Scott, Kennesaw State University]