Architect and businessman Elam Alexander was born in Iredell County, North Carolina on March 22, 1796. Though he had no formal education, Alexander proved to be a talented builder and shrewd business man. He moved to Georgia in 1820, finally settling in Macon in 1826. Strongly influenced by the Greek Revival architectural style, Alexander was primarily responsible for many of Macon’s most impressive structures, some which still stand today. He built several famous homes, the Bibb County Courthouse, and the first building housing the Georgia Female College. Alexander also was a successful businessman, either owning stock in or serving on the boards of railroads, banks, a telegraph company, an iron and coal company, and a gas light company. Alexander died in Macon on March 29, 1863.