Joint Resolution of the Georgia General Assembly authorizing reconstruction of New Echota
Joint Resolution of the Georgia General Assembly
Mar. 13, 1957
RECONSTRUCTION OF “NEW ECHOTA” AUTHORIZED.
No. 116 (HOUSE Resolution No. 96-291b).
Authorizing the reconstruction, establishment and development of “new Echota”, the last capital of the Cherokee Indian Nation; and for other purposes.
Whereas, the last capital of the Cherokee Indian Nation was located in Gordon County, Georgia; and
Whereas, the Cherokees had established a town of great historical significance, having a courthouse, council house, print shop and famous taverns; and
Whereas, since the abandonment of “New Echota” by the Cherokees, said town has disappeared from our land; and
Whereas, through the aid and services of the State Historical Commission, historians and archaeologists have relocated the sites whereupon the original buildings were at one time located, and have reclaimed many interesting and valuable items of Indian lore; and
Whereas, the reconstruction of “New Echota” will provide the great State of Georgia with one of the most important tourist attractions in the United States of America; and
Whereas, through the reconstruction, establishment and development of this valuable tourist attraction, it is completely estimated that upon completion it will greatly add to the State’s revenue through sales and gasoline taxes alone; and
Whereas, many thoughtful and progressive citizens of the City of Calhoun and Gordon County have personally purchased and conveyed to the State of Georgia as a gift 220 acres of valuable land which include the original site of “New Echota”, the last capital of the Cherokee Indian Nation;
Now, therefore, be it resolved by the General Assembly of Georgia that the Georgia Historical Commission is hereby authorized and directed to provide for the reconstruction, establishment and development of “New Echota”, the last capital of the Cherokee Indian Nation, located in Gordon County. The Governor is hereby authorized to provide the necessary funds therefor from any available source, not to exceed $125,000.00 in each of the next two years.
Approved May 13, 1957.
Ga. Laws 1957, pp. 580-581.