Choose another Topic

White County Historical Markers

Bishop Marvin A. Franklin


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Bishop Marvin A. Franklin
  • Location: White Methodist Church on Ga. 17 just east of Ga. 75 near Helen

BISHOP MARVIN A. FRANKLIN

Marvin Augustus Franklin was born a few miles from here January 19, 1894 and early in life united with the Nacoochee Methodist Church. He was licensed to preach October 26, 1910 and joined the North Georgia annual Conference at Elberton, Ga., November 21, 1913. He received the Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Georgia in 1915, the Doctor of Divinity degree from Emory University and the Doctor of Laws from Millsaps College. member Phi Beta Kappa, Omicron Delta Kappa and Delta Tau Delta. He served larger churches in Georgia, Florida and Alabama. On July 2, 1948 while pastor of Highlands Methodist Church in Birmingham, he was elected bishop at the Columbia, S.C. Jurisdictional Conference. Presided over forty Annual Conferences in Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Resident Bishop Jackson, Mississippi Area 1948-1964. President of the Council of Bishops of the Methodist Church 1959-1960.

Able preacher, skillful administrator, and dedicator pastor of pastors.

[UNITED METHODIST CHURCH MARKER]