- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Roanoke
- Location: Ga 39 about 2 1/2 miles south of Florence
Roanoke, 1/2 mile west of here on the east bank of the Chattahoochee River was originally an Indian village. Incorporated in 1832 with about 30 families, a post office and several stores, it became a thriving white settlement. Roanoke was attacked by a small band of Creek Indians, May 13, 1836. These were easily repulsed but two nights later, May 15, 1836, about 300 Creeks in a surprise attack burned the town. It was never rebuilt. Instead, Florence, 2 miles above on the river, became a flourishing town and river outlet for surrounding territory. Florence was first called Liverpool.
128-10 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956