Methodist Camp Ground
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Methodist Camp Ground
- Location: Ga. 27 about 3 miles east of Lumpkin
METHODIST CAMP GROUNDS 1/4 Mi. S.
On a 10 acre plot of land in the exact center of the county was located, in 1830, the first permanent Methodist Camp Meeting Ground in Stewart County. It was given by Loverd Bryan to be held and owned by the church as long as it was regularly used for Camp Meetings. For 4 years before meetings had been held in various communities in the county and each claimed the Camp Ground. A 100 foot square shed, shingle-covered, was built for meeting and tents of campers were set up around it and near the spring, which is still in use. The first Camp Meeting was held here in 1836 by Rev. Noah P. Smith, who was in charge of the circuit.
128-13 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956