Masonic Female College
- Source: Todd Massar
- Marker: Masonic Female College
- Location: US 27 North in Lumpkin
MASONIC FEMALE COLLEGE 1 Bl.
This school, established in 1852 by members of Cross Lodge No. 12 Masons for the purpose of educating girls, was a leading educational center for 30 years. Located on land purchased from Willard and Hollis Boynton, when completed it had an endowment of $12,000. The first General Board of Directors was composed of 17 Masons from Stewart County and other sections of Georgia. Rev. Jesse H. Campbell, prominent minister and educator, was one of the founders and on the teaching staff. Destroyed by fire in 1880, it was rebuilt by popular subscription and used as a school for boys and girls.
128-14 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956