Choose another Topic

Stewart County Historical Markers

Lumpkin and Stewart County


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Lumpkin and Stewart County
  • Location: Stewart County Courthouse, Lumpkin

LUMPKIN AND STEWART COUNTY

Lumpkin, named for Wilson Lumpkin, Governor, Congressman and

Senator, first the County Seat of Randolph County, became the

Seat of Government of Stewart County when that county was consti-

tuted from Randolph December 23, 1830. On a hill between two

Indian trails to Florida, the first Courthouse, built of logs in

August 1830, was used as a blockhouse in the Indian outbreak in

  1. A two story frame Courthouse stood until 1895, when one

of brick, cornerstone laid by Masons, was built and repaired and

rebuilt in 1922 after damage by fire.

Stewart County was named for Brig. Gen. Daniel Stewart, Revolution-

ary soldier brevetted for bravery in Georgia’s Indian Wars. In

this County are Providence Canyons, sites of fort McCreary, Fort

Jones, Oconee Village, Battle of Shepherd’s Plantation Indian

Mounds and Roanoke. First officers of Stewart County were:

William Duncan, Needham R. Bryan, Henry Audulph, Judges of

Inferior Court; Sampson L. Lampkin, Surveyor; Edward Sturdivant,

Coroner; Thomas M. Dennis, Clerk Inferior Court; Thomas

R. Mangham, Clerk Superior Court; Jonathan F. Bridges, Sheriff;

James S. Lunsford, Tax Receiver; Cullen Roberts, Tax Collector.

128-8 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955