- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Fort McCreary-1836
- Location: At Omaha on Ga 39
FORT MCCREARY - 1836
One mile north of here is the site of Fort McCreary built for the defense of Georgia’s frontier along the Chattahoochee River. During the Creek Indian War of 1836 it was garrisoned by the U. S. soldiers and Georgia Volunteers under command of Gen. McClesky. A relief column from the Fort saved the day for Captain Garmany’s Company of Georgia Militia during a battle on the Shepherd plantation. Three unknown soldiers lie buried on the crest of the Fort which is now owned by Roanoke Chapter, D.A.R.
128-7 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954