- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Fort Jones
- Location: Ga 39 about 2 miles south of Florence
Fort Jones, a stockade fort built during the Creek uprising of 1836, stood on this site. After the burning of Roanoke, the frightened settlers sought refuge in its blockhouse, built of upright skinned logs with high windows for gun holes. The fort was built under command of Major H. W. Jernigan and garrisoned by a company of Stewart County citizen soldiers. Among them were Thos. J Still, Capt. Robert Billups, David Delk, Col. A. P. Rood and James Fitzgerald who rode to Fort McCreary for aid for the Battle of Shepherd’s Plantation.
128-9 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955