- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: County Courthouse
- Location: Courthouse, Lumpkin
This handsome structure was built in 1895 in the Classical style made popular by the buildings housing the Columbia Exposition in Chicago (1893-94) to which Lumpkin-born architect John Wellborn Root was a major contributor. It replaced a wooden courthouse built on the same site in 1837. The first seat of county government in 1831 was a small frame structure elsewhere on this square. In 1922 a fire destroyed the interior of the present building which was rebuilt in fire resistant materials. Fully refurbished in 1985, the building contains county offices, the Superior Court and virtually complete county records.
ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION
AND THE STEWART COUNTY COMMISSION 1986