The Town Spring
- Source: Ed Jackson
- Marker: The Town Spring
- Location: Walking trail in the Round Bowl Spring Park adjacent to the Morgan County African American Museum
THE TOWN SPRING
Civil Engineer R.B. Tufts noted on the 1897 Morgan County map that “The Public Spring … which for all these years has been sending forth a bold, steady stream of pure, cold water, was the cause of establishing the Court House and the public buildings, and consequently the town, at this place.”
James Cunningham and Tallifero Finney each submitted springs for siting the new community. Cunningham’s “round bowl spring of clear pure water” was selected. Preservation of public springs became one of the first responsibilities of the newly incorporated town’s officials in 1809.
Early efforts in included keeping the springs in good order and prevent nearby timber cutting as well as any other improprieties. Public meeting minutes from the 1820s reflect such diligence - cleaning out the public spring, maintaining the fence around the spring lot, and banning both bathing and washing of cloths in the Town Spring.
CITY OF MADISON
MADISON BICENTENNIAL COMMISSION 1809-2009 A PRESERVE AMERICA COMMUNITY