Choose another Topic

Jasper County Historical Markers

Jackson Springs


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Jackson Springs
  • Location: Georgia Hwy 83, aproximately one mile southwest of Monticello

JACKSON SPRINGS

General Andrew Jackson, leading his troops to Florida in 1818 to fight the Seminole Indians, stopped here for nearly two weeks to rest his army during their long march. Since that time, this has been called Jackson Springs to honor the famous soldier and Indian fighter who became President of the United States in 1829. Through the years Jackson Springs has been the site of many political gatherings, Masonic conventions, Sunday School picnics and barbecues.

079-4 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1957