Old Federal Road
- Source: Buz Hopper and Martin Penny
- Marker: Old Federal Road
- Location: Ga 13 at Old Federal Road, northeast of Flowery Branch
OLD FEDERAL ROAD
The route leading west from this point in the Old Federal Road, an early thoroughfare which linked Georgia and Tennessee across the Cherokee Nation. Rights to open the passage were granted informally by the Indians in 1803 and confirmed by treaty in 1805. Beginning 10 miles to the east, on the former Cherokee boundry, now the Hall-Jackson County line, the road crossed the Chattahoochee 4 miles to the west at Vann’s Ferry and bore northwestward. This highway was the first vehicular and emigrant route of northwest Georgia. Andrew Jackson passed here in 1818 during the Seminole War.
069-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL MARKER 2000