Choose another Topic

Fulton County Historical Markers

Augustus Hurt Plantation


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Augustus Hurt Plantation
  • Location: Located in the parking lot of the Carter Presidential Center in Atlanta

AUGUSTUS HURT PLANTATION

The outer Confederate defense line of Atlanta, located on E. slope of this hill, July 18, was evacuated the night of the 21st, 1864.

July 22. The Federal 23d A. C., under Schofield marching from the N. E. via Williams Mill Rd. intrenched a line W. & S. of Augustus Hurt’s house, where it supported the rt. wing of the Army of the Tenn. in the Battle of Atlanta. July 26. With the shift of that army to the W. side of Atlanta, the 23d A. C. became the extreme right S. W. of the city. The 4th A. C., its left resting at the Augustus Hurt house, became the left of the line until Aug. 25.

060-80 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956