Choose another Topic

Camden County Historical Markers

Point Peter Battery and the War of 1812


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Point Peter Battery and the War of 1812
  • Location: Spinaker Road at USS Kamehameha Avenue (extension of North River Parkway), St Marys

Point Peter Battery and the War of 1812

In 1795 a cannon battery constructed on the Point Peter peninsula became the southernmost fortification in the First System of U.S. coastal defenses. Vacated in 1802, it was reoccupied and strenghtened in 1808 to provide support for the enforcement of the Embargo Act and the prohibition of the international slave trade. In 1812, former Georgia governor George Matthews led the unsanctioned “Patriot” invasion of Spanish Florida from Point Peter. On January 13, 1815, during the War of 1812, a British force overwhelmed 116 U.S. regulars here, destroying the fort and barracks. After the U.S. acquired Florida in 1819, the post was abandoned.

2008.2 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and National Society U.S. Daughters of 1812, State of Georgia 20-2