Choose another Topic

Burke County Historical Markers

Shell Bluff


  • Source: Ed Jackson
  • Marker: Shell Bluff
  • Location: Located at the intersection of Liberty and Seventh Streets., Waynesboro, Ga.

SHELL BLUFF

Shell Bluff on the Savannah River 15 miles northeast has been famous since Indian days because of its outcrops of fossil shells including those of giant oysters. These lived in the Eocene sea that covered this part of Georgia some 50 million years ago. Shell Bluff has been visited and described by many famous travelers and geologists including Bartram in 1791, Vanuxem in 1828, Conrad in 1834, and Sir Charles Lyell in 1842.

[WPA Marker]