First Presbyterian Church
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: First Presbyterian Church
- Location: Williams and Myrick Streets, Waynesboro (east of US 25)
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Scotch Presbyterians of St. George’s Parish, now Burke County, by 1760 had organized churches at Brier Creek, Old Church (formerly Episcopalian) and Walnut Branch. In 1771 Rev. Josiah Lewis became the first permanent pastor, sent by the Synod of New York and Philadelphia, the nearest Synod at that time. In 1810, after Waynesboro had become a town, the Brier Creek and Walnut Branch churches united, moved to town and formed this church. The present church building, dedicated in 1884, is the third on this site. Among the early ministers were Rev. John Boggs, Rev. E.B. Caldwell, Rev. S.K. Talmage.
017-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956