|Architecture Style||Modern with elements of Stripped Classical|
|Designer||William J.J. Chase & Associates|
|Seat Information||Waycross [first settled around 1820; became a railroad stop known as "Old Nine" or "Number Nine"; then known as Pendleton; renamed as Tebeauville in 1857; incorporated as Tebeauville in 1866; designated county seat in 1873; and incorporated as "Way Cross" (because it was the intersection of three railroads plus several dirt roads) March 3, 1874]. Previous county seat: Waresborough [designated county seat 1824; incorporated 1858; replaced as county seat 1873].|
|Courthouse Details||Ware County's first courthouse was a log building at Waresborough (1825), the original county seat. A larger wooden building was erected and served as courthouse until the county seat moved to Waycross in 1873, where a small wooden structure was built. This building soon burned, and the older courthouse at Waresborough was taken apart and reconstructed in Waycross. A two-story brick courthouse with tower was built in 1891. This served as Ware County courthouse until the current building -- constructed of Georgia marble -- was completed in 1957.|
|County Area||906.6 Square Miles|
Ware County was established on Dec. 15, 1824 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1824, p. 44). Created from portions of Appling County, Georgia’s 60th county was named for U.S. Sen. Nicholas Ware.
Portions of Ware County were used to create the following counties: Clinch (1850), Coffee (1854), Pierce (1857), and Bacon (1914).
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||Waycross Journal-Herald|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|