Choose another Topic

Turner County



Courthouse
County Courthouse View large image

Source: David Seibert

LocationAsdhburn
Date Built1907
Architecture StyleNeoclassical Revival
DesignerAlexander Blair and P.E. Dennis
Seat InformationThe 1905 legislation creating Turner County designated Ashburn as county seat. The date of Ashburn's initial settlement is not known. Kenneth Krakow records that initally the site was known as Troupville Crosswords. In 1888, W.W. Ashburn and J.S. Betts purchased land in the area, which came to be known as Marion. Because Ashburn was a major force in establishing timber as an important industry in the area, local residents renamed Marion in his honor. On Dec. 26, 1890, the legislature incorporated Ashburn (Ga. Laws 1890-91, Vol. II, p. 625).
Courthouse DetailsTurner County's present (and only) courthouse was completed in 1907. It is not known what served as courthouse from the county's creation in Aug. 1905 to 1907. The building underwent a major restoration in 1984 and again 2001.
County Data
Population8930
Population 20009504
Population Growth-6.0
County SeatAshburn
County Area289.9 Square Miles
Location MapTurner County Location Map
History

Turner County was created on Aug. 18, 1905, by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1905, p. 63). Formed from Dooly, Irwin, Wilcox, and Worth counties, Georgia’s 145th county was named for former Georgia congressman and Georgia Supreme Court justice Henry Turner (1839-1904).

Web SiteVisit Web Site
Legal OrganThe Wiregrass Farmer
Chamber of Commerce Web SiteVisit Web Site
Historical Population
YearPopulation
2010 8,930
2000 9,504
1990 8,703
1980 9,510
1970 8,790
1960 8,439
1950 10,479
1940 10,846
1930 11,196
1920 12,466
1910 10,075