|Designer||W.P. Thompson, Jr.|
|Seat Information||The law creating Toombs County provided that Lyons be the county seat. The town was settled in the 1880s or 1890s and became a railroad stop on the Central of Georgia line connecting Albany with Savannah. The town was named for a Mr. Lyons, who reportedly was instrumental in getting the railroad built through the town. Lyons was incorporated by an act of the legislature approved Dec. 9, 1897.|
|Courthouse Details||Toombs County's first courthouse was a brick structure built in 1906. The building was destroyed by fire in 1917 and rebuilt in 1919. The present courthouse was built several blocks from downtown in 1964.|
|County Area||368.7 Square Miles|
Toombs County was created on Aug. 18, 1905, by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1905, p. 62). Formed from portions of Emanuel, Montgomery, and Tattnall counties, Georgia’s 144th county was named for famous politician and unreconstructed secessionist Gen. Robert Toombs.
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||The Advance|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|