|Date Built||1858, remodeled 1888|
|Architecture Style||Greek Revival (1858), Classical/Victorian elements added 1888|
|Designer||John Wind (1858), unknown (1888 remodeling)|
|Seat Information||Thomasville. The act creating Thomas County designated a commission of five named individuals to select a site for location of the county seat. In 1826, the commissioners selected a site on the Old Coffee Road that traveled through southwest Georgia to Tallahassee, Florida, and named it Thomasville in honor of Gen. Jett Thomas. Thomasville was incorporated by an act of the legislature approved Dec. 26, 1831.|
|Courthouse Details||he legislation creating Thomas County provided that superior and inferior courts initially would be held in the house of Charles Kingsley. Reportedly, a log cabin was subsequently built in Thomasville to serve as the county's first courthouse. This simple structure was followed by a larger courthouse, presumably built of wood. The present courthouse -- a three-story brick building -- was originally constructed in 1858. It underwent a major remodeling in 1888, with subsequent renovations in 1909, 1918, 1922, and 1937.|
|County Area||552.1 Square Miles|
Thomas County was created from Decatur and Irwin counties on Dec. 23, 1825 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1825, p. 54). Georgia’s 67th county was named for Gen. Jett Thomas, who oversaw construction of the first building at the University of Georgia as well as the state capitol at Milledgeville and went on to become a hero of the War of 1812.
Portions of Thomas County later were used to form Colquitt County (1856), Brooks County (1858), and Grady County (1905).
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||Thomasville Times-Enterprise|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|