Choose another Topic

Talbot County



Courthouse
County Courthouse View large image

Source: David Seibert

LocationTalbotton
Date Built1892
Architecture StyleQueen Anne
DesignerBruce & Morgan
Seat InformationIn an act of Dec. 24, 1827, the legislature provided that on the first Monday in Feb. 1828, voters of Talbot County would assemble at the house of Darling R. Allen and elect the county's first officials (Ga. Laws 1827, p. 65). The act also authorized the justices of the county's inferior court to select the site for the county seat and to arrange for construction of public buildings. That court selected a site, which it named Talbotton. On Dec. 20, 1828, the legislature formally designated Talbotton county seat and incorporated it as a town (Ga. Laws 1828, p. 149).
Courthouse DetailsLikely, Talbot County business and court sessions initially were conducted at private houses. Reportedly, a brick courthouse was built in Talbotton in 1831. Evidence of this building is found in James Silk Buckingham's 1839 diary, where he records seeing "a good brick court-house" in Talbotton. The building burned in early 1892, and the present courthouse was completed later that year.
County Data
Population6865
Population 20006498
Population Growth5.6
County SeatTalbotton
County Area394.8 Square Miles
Location MapTalbot County Location Map
History

Talbot County was created from Muscogee County on Dec. 14, 1827 by an act of the General Assembly. In 1852, part of Talbot County was used to form Taylor County.

Georgia’s 73rd county was named for former governor Matthew Talbot (1762-1827).

Web SiteVisit Web Site
Legal OrganTalbotton New Era
Chamber of Commerce Web SiteVisit Web Site
Historical Population
YearPopulation
2010 6,865
2000 6,498
1990 6,524
1980 6,536
1970 6,625
1960 7,127
1950 7,687
1940 8,141
1930 8,458
1920 11,158
1910 11,696
1900 12,197
1890 13,258
1880 14,115
1870 11,913
1860 13,616
1850 16,534
1840 15,627
1830 5,940