|Architecture Style||Neoclassical Revival|
|Designer||T.F. Lockwood, Jr.|
|Seat Information||Lumpkin [created in 1829 and named for Georgia congressman Wilson Lumpkin; incorporated and designated county seat Dec. 30, 1830].|
|Courthouse Details||This is Stewart County's fifth courthouse. The first was a log cabin built in 1831. A more sturdy structure was completed in 1837. That courthouse was replaced by a substantial two-story brick building in 1896 designed by A.J. Bryan. This building was destroyed by fire in 1922 and rebuilt the following year. Though similar in appearance to its predecessor, the clock tower on the 1923 courthouse was moved from the center of the building toward the front. The courthouse was renovated in 1935-36 as part of a WPA project. The entire structure was renovated in 1983.|
|County Area||463.3 Square Miles|
Stewart County was created from Randolph County on Dec. 23, 1830 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1830, p 49). Kinchafoonee County (subsequently renamed Webster County) was created entirely from Stewart County in 1853 (Ga. Laws 1853, p. 304). Portions of Stewart County were used to create Quitman County in 1858 (Ga. Laws 1858, p. 28).
Georgia’s 78th county was named for Daniel Stewart, an officer in the American Revolution and War of 1812.
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||The Stewart Webster Journal Patriot Citizen|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|