|Seat Information||The legislation creating Stephens County designated Toccoa as county seat. Toccoa began as a settlement named Dry Pond.In the early 1870s, it became a railway station for the Air-Line Railroad between Atlanta and Charlotte, N.C. In 1874, the superior court of Habersham County incorporated Toccoa. On Feb. 26, 1875, the General Assembly confirmed Toccoa's incorporation (Ga. Laws 1875, p. 189). Toccoa was named for nearby Toccoa Falls, which may derive from a Cherokee word for "beautiful."|
|Courthouse Details||Stephens County's first courthouse was completed in 1908. That structure is still in use, but a new courthouse across the street from the original opened in May 2000.|
|County Area||184.2 Square Miles|
Stephens County was created from Habersham and Franklin counties on Aug. 18, 1905, by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1905, p. 58).
Georgia’s 143rd county was named for one of Georgia’s most famous politicans, Alexander Stephens.
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||The Toccoa Record|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|