Choose another Topic

Schley County



Courthouse
County Courthouse View large image

Source: David Seibert

LocationEllaville
Date Built1899
Architecture StyleRomanesque Revival
DesignerGolucke & Stewart
Seat InformationThe Dec. 1857 act creating Schley County provided that election of county officials take place the first Monday in March 1858. The act further authorized the first justices of the inferior court to select the location for the county seat. In 1858, Richard Burton sold the county 150 acres as a site for the county seat. The land was surveyed and lots not used for county buildings sold to the public. The new town was named Ellaville, after Burton's oldest daughter, Ella. On Nov. 23, 1859, the legislature incorporated Ellaville as including all territory within one-half mile of the Schley County courthouse (Ga. Laws 1859, p. 154).
Courthouse DetailsSchley County's first courthouse was built in 1858 or early 1859. It served until 1899, when it was torn down and replaced by the current courthouse. The building was rehabilitated in 1992-93.
County Data
Population5010
Population 20003766
Population Growth33.0
County SeatEllaville
County Area167.8 Square Miles
Location MapSchley County Location Map
History

Schley County was created from Marion and Sumter countieson Dec. 22, 1857 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1857, p. 42). Georgia’s 124th county was named for former governor and congressman William Schley (1786-1858).

Web SiteVisit Web Site
Legal OrganThe Stewart Webster Journal Patriot Citizen
Chamber of Commerce Web SiteVisit Web Site
Historical Population
YearPopulation
2010 5,010
2000 3,766
1990 3,588
1980 3,433
1970 3,097
1960 3,256
1950 4,036
1940 5,033
1930 5,347
1920 5,243
1910 5,213
1900 5,499
1890 5,443
1880 5,302
1870 5,129
1860 4,633