|Architecture Style||Queen Anne|
|Designer||Kimball, Wheeler & Parkins|
|Seat Information||The 1828 legislation creating Randolph County did not specify a county seat or provide a mechanism for designating one. The next year, the legislature named a seven-member commission to select a county seat for Randolph County. Until such site was named, court sessions and elections were to take place at such sites as directed by the county's inferior court. On Dec. 2, 1830, the legislature designated Lumpkin as county seat and incorporated the town. Exactly three weeks later, the legislature created Stewart County from the northern half of Randolph County. As Lumpkin lay in the area transferred to Stewart County, Randolph County was now without a county seat. On Dec. 26, 1831, the legislature directed that the 76th land lot in the sixth district serve as Randolph County's seat of government. The act further provided that the new county seat be incorporated as the town of Cuthbert, so-named to honor former U.S. congressman and Indian commissioner John Cuthbert.|
|Courthouse Details||Randolph County was created in late 1828, but it was not until January of 1830 that the county's first elected officers were commissioned. Initially, the town of Lumpkin served as unofficial county seat, with court sessions and other county business taking place in private homes and other locations. In Dec. 1830, Lumpkin served as official county seat for 21 days before being transferred to newly created Stewart County. One year later, a land lot in the center of Randolph County was designated as county seat (as well as the site of the new town of Cuthbert) -- but the county still had no courthouse. According to Jordan and Puster, a wooden courthouse was built here in 1837, with that structure replaced by a brick building in 1840. However, in 1845, the legislature authorized Randolph County officials to levy a special tax to build a new courthouse, so the county's second courthouse may actually date to 1845 or 1846. In 1871, the legislature authorized the county to borrow $20,000 to build a new courthouse, subject to voter approval. Apparently, the election failed, for the legislature enacted new legislation in 1883 calling for a referendum to allow the county to borrow $15,000 to build a courthouse. The election was delayed until 1885, and this time voters gave their approval. Randolph County's new courthouse was completed in 1886 and still serves today.|
|County Area||430.9 Square Miles|
Randolph County was created from Lee County on Dec. 20, 1828 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1828, p. 53). Georgia’s 75th county was named for Virginia congressman John Randolph (1773-1833).
This was the second time that a Georgia county was named for John Randolph. Earlier, an act of Dec. 10, 1807 created a Randolph County. After John Randolph became unpopular for publicly opposing the U.S. declaration of war on Britain, Georgia legislators in 1812 voted to change the name of the original Randolph County to Jasper County. However, John Randolph’s reputation eventually was restored, and in 1828 the General Assembly again named a new county in his honor.
Portions of Randolph County were used to form the following counties: Stewart (1830), Clay (1854), Terrell (1856), and Quitman (1858).
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||The Citizen Times|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|