|Architecture Style||Neoclassical Revival|
|Seat Information||Hawkinsville. In the 1808 act creating Pulaski County, judges of the inferior court were empowered to designate the county seat and contract for the building of a courthouse and jail. In the meantime, the act directed that court sessions and elections be held at the home of Isham Jordan. The judges selected the settlement of Hartford, named in honor of American Revolution heroine Nancy Hart, on the eastern bank of the Ocmulgee River, and on Dec. 13, 1809 the General Assembly designated Hartford as county seat. On Dec. 27, 1836, the legislature approved an act moving the county seat to Hawkinsville, which lay on the western bank of the Ocmulgee River opposite Hartford. The same act incorporated Hawkinsville, which was named for Benjamin Hawkins, the noted U.S. Indian agent to the Creeks on the Georgia frontier.|
|Courthouse Details||Pulaski County's first courthouse was built at Hartford in 1812. After Hawkinsville was named county seat in 1836, the courthouse was moved across the Ocmulgee River to the city square of the new county seat. By 1872, the county needed a larger courthouse, so the original courthouse was moved to a spot facing the city square, where it became a hotel. Construction of a new two-story brick courthouse was completed in 1874. A clock with four faces was added to the courthouse tower in 1855. The facade of the courthouse was changed as part of renovations in 1897. Need for additional space led to construction of a three-story annex connected to the rear of the courthouse in 1910. In 1936, the WPA funded a restoration of the courthouse.|
|County Area||249.9 Square Miles|
Pulaski County was created from Laurens County on Dec. 13, 1808 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1808, p. 52). In 1870, the legislature used a portion of Pulaski County to help create Dodge County. In 1912, Georgia voters approved a constitutional amendment creating Bleckley County from the northwestern half of Pulaski County.
Georgia’s 36th county was named for Count Casimir Pulaski of Poland. Pulaski, who fought on behalf of the American cause in the Revolutionary War, was mortally wounded in 1779 during an attack on British forces that had seized Savannah.
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||Hawkinsville Dispatch and News|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|