|Architecture Style||Stripped Classical|
|Designer||Bothwell and Nash|
|Seat Information||The act creating Pickens County directed the judges of the inferior court to select a location for the county seat. They chose a site on the Old Federal Road and named it Jasper, after Sergeant William Jasper, the South Carolina patriot who was killed while trying to save his unit's flag during the siege of Savannah in 1779. The town of Jasper was incorporated by an act of the legislature approved Dec. 22, 1857.|
|Courthouse Details||It is not known what served as Pickens County courthouse for the first five years after the county's creation, but the county finally built a brick courthouse in 1859. This building was demolished in 1888 and replaced with a new courthouse. In 1947, this courthouse was destroyed by fire, and a new courthouse (with an exterior of Georgia marble from nearby Tate) was completed in 1949.|
|County Area||232.8 Square Miles|
Pickens County was created from Cherokee and Gilmer counties on Dec. 5, 1853 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1853-54, p. 306). Additional portions of Cherokee County were transferred to Pickens County in 1869, as were parts of Gilmer County in 1858 and 1863. No counties have been created from Pickens County, but areas of the county were transferred to Dawson County (1857), Gordon County (1860), and Cherokee County (1870).
Georgia’s 101st county was named for Gen. Andrew Pickens (1739-1817), who gained fame during the American Revolution for his victories over the British in South Carolina and Georgia. Late in the war, Pickens also led a campaign in north Georgia against the Cherokee Indians, who had sided with the British in the Revolution. In Oct. 1782, after a victory against the Cherokee, he forced them to sign a treaty at Long Swamp (located in today’s Pickens County) in which the Cherokees agreed to give up claims to land between the Savannah and Chattahoochee rivers.
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||Pickens County Progress|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|