|Architecture Style||Colonial Revival|
|Designer||Dennis & Dennis|
|Seat Information||The 1924 constitutional amendment creating Peach County designated Fort Valley as county seat. Fort Valley was originally settled in 1820 as an Indian trading post. The community reportedly was named for Arthur Fort, a Revolutionary War hero. In Feb. 1854, the legislature incorporated Fort Valley.|
|Courthouse Details||After Peach County's creation in Nov. 1924, the second floor of Slappey's Opera House (later designated Austin Theater) on Main St. served as the county courthouse. Later, county officials moved the courthouse around the corner to a former Star and Durant auto dealership on South Macon St. The current courthouse was built in 1936. After a fire in 1969, the courthouse was restored with an addition constructed in the early 1970s. Another addition was built in the 1990s.|
|County Seat||Fort Valley|
|County Area||151.5 Square Miles|
On July 18, 1924, the General Assembly proposed a constitutional amendment to create Peach County from Houston and Macon counties (Ga. Laws 1924, p. 39). In that year’s general election, Georgia voters ratified the proposed amendment on Nov. 4, 1924, which marks the date of Peach County’s creation (although a state historical marker on the courthouse grounds incorrectly cites the county’s creation as the day the legislative act proposing the constitutional amendment was approved).
Why was Peach County created by constitutional amendment instead of an act of the General Assembly? In 1904, Georgia voters had approved a constitutional amendment limiting the number of counties in the state to 145. The next year, the General Assembly created eight new counties, bringing the total number to 145—the constitutional limit. Nevertheless, there was continuing pressure to create more counties. Beginning in 1906, lawmakers got around the 145-county limitation by creating new counties through constitutional amendments that were not subject to the limitation. With the creation of Peach County in 1924, Georgia had 161 counties—16 of which had been created by constitutional amendment. On Jan. 1, 1932, Milton and Campbell counties merged with Fulton, leaving 159 counties. In 1945, Georgia voters ratified a new constitution—one which provided an absolute limit of 159 counties, with an additional provision that no new country could be created except through consolidation of existing counties.
Georgia’s 161st—and last—new county was named for the peaches widely grown in the area.
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||The Leader Tribune|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|