|Architecture Style||Neoclassical Revival|
|Seat Information||Madison [named for newly elected president James Madison was designated county seat in 1808 and incorporated in 1809].|
|Courthouse Details||The first courthouse was a red brick square building, built in 1809 on the square in the middle of downtown Madison. It burned in 1844 and another courthouse was built in 1845. This building was converted to office space when the current courthouse was built across the street on the corner facing the square. In 1916, the second courthouse building was also destroyed in a fire.|
|County Area||354.6 Square Miles|
Morgan County was created from Baldwin County on Dec. 10, 1807 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1807, p. 3). Georgia’s 30th county was named for Revolutionary War general and later Virginia Congressman, Daniel Morgan. Morgan is best remembered for his victory over the British at Cowpens in 1781.
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||Morgan County Citizen|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|