Choose another Topic

Marion County



Courthouse
County Courthouse View large image

Source: David Seibert

LocationBuena Vista
Date Built1850
Architecture StyleVernacular with Neoclassical Revival alterations
DesignerUnknown
Seat InformationThe Dec. 14, 1827 legislation creating Marion County made no provision for a county seat. However, on Dec. 27, 1828, the legislature named nine local citizens as commissioners to select the location for Marion County's seat of government. The site they initially picked was known as Horry (a name of unknown derivation), though by 1839 the name had changed to Marionville. In an act of Dec. 27, 1838, the legislature designated Tazewell as county seat and directed that the courthouse be erected on land lot 230 in the fourth district of the county (Ga. Laws 1838, p. 127). The same act incorporated Tazewell as a town. The town's name honored Henry Tazewell (1753-1799), who represented Virginia in the U.S. Senate until his death. Dec. 27, 1845, the legislature repealed the law naming Tazewell as Marion County seat of government (Ga. Laws 1845, p. 76). In its spring 1846 session, Marion County's grand jury was directed to name seven commissioners with responsibility for selecting a new county seat. The law directed that the new county seat be within one mile of the center of the county. However, removal of the county seat was conditioned upon approval by county voters in a referendum scheduled for the first Monday in February 1846. That did not take place, so the legislature passed a new act on Dec. 27, 1847 providing for a referendum on removal of Marion's county seat to be held on the first Monday in April 1848 (Ga. Laws 1847, p. 71) . If voters favored removal, a second election was directed for electing seven commissioners to select the new site for the county seat. This time, the referendum was approved. In 1848 or 1849, the commissioners chose a site known Pea Ridge on land lot 110 in the fourth district of the county. Local residents wanted to give their new county seat a new name and initially designated it as Taylor (after Gen. Zachary Taylor). However, there was already a Taylor, Ga., so they decided to recognize Gen. Taylor's Feb.1847 victory over Gen. Santa Anna at the Battle of Buena Vista in the Mexican War. On Jan. 26, 1850, the legislature formally designated Buena Vista as county seat of Marion County and incorporated it as a town (Ga. Laws 1849-50, p. 102).
Courthouse DetailsIt is not known what initially served as Marion County courthouse. An act of Dec. 17, 1828 appointed nine local citizens to serve as commissioners to select a county seat (Ga. Laws 1828, p. 155). Once that site was designated, the county's inferior court was directed to erect a courthouse and jail. Until such time, Marion County court sessions elections were to be held "at the usual place of holding courts and elections." It is believed that in 1829, a courthouse was built in the settlement of Horry (later renamed Marionville). After Tazewell was designated county seat in 1838, a new courthouse was built the following year. This wooden structure burned in 1845, and a new courthouse was built in 1848. In 1849 or 1850, Buena Vista was designated the new county seat, and a new two-story brick courthouse was completed in 1850. In 1928, a Neoclassical entrance with columns was added to the courthouse.
County Data
Population8742
Population 20007144
Population Growth22.4
County SeatBuena Vista
County Area367.5 Square Miles
Location MapMarion County Location Map
History

Marion County was created from Lee and Muscogee counties on Dec. 14, 1827 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1827, p. 69). According to the act, Marion County’s boundaries were defined as:

  . . . so much of the counties of Lee and Muscogee as are contained in the following boundaries, to wit: beginning in the centre of lot number 120, in the 10th Muscogee, and running southwardly along the county line of Muscogee, to the south east corner of lot 136, in the 32d district Lee county, thence east to the upper corner of fraction number 145, in the 28th Lee, on Flint river, thence up said river to the south east corner of fraction number 280, in the first Muscogee, thence with the county line of Talbot to the beginning.

Between 1827 and 1876, Marion County gave up land to Chattahoochee, Crawford, Macon, Muscogee, Schley, Sumter, Talbot, Taylor, and Webster counties.

Georgia’s 74th county was named for Revolutionary War hero Gen. Francis “Swamp Fox” Marion (1732-1795) of South Carolina.

Web SiteVisit Web Site
Legal OrganThe Journal
Chamber of Commerce Web SiteVisit Web Site
Historical Population
YearPopulation
2010 8,742
2000 7,144
1990 5,590
1980 5,297
1970 5,099
1960 5,477
1950 6,521
1940 6,954
1930 6,968
1920 7,604
1910 9,147
1900 10,080
1890 7,728
1880 8,598
1870 8,000
1860 7,390
1850 10,280
1840 4,812
1830 1,436