|Designer||G. Hubert Jones & Associates|
|Seat Information||Danielsville [named in honor of state militia Gen. Allen Daniel, who had served in the American Revolution and later donated the land for the county seat]. Exactly when the community was first settled is not known, but in 1812, the General Assembly designated Danielsville as Madison County's seat of government (Ga. Laws 1812, p. 23). In 1817, the legislature incorporated Danielsville as a town (Ga. Laws 1817, p. 7).|
|Courthouse Details||Madison County's present courthouse -- the fourth in the county's history -- was constructed in 1996-97. It replaced the old courthouse , which still stands on the downtown courthouse square. The previous structure, built in 1901, replaced a frame courthouse, which in turn replaced an earlier wooden courthouse--all three built on the same site. Eventually, the old courthouse proved too small for county government needs, forcing the county to rent office space in downtown Danielsville. In the mid-1990s, the county commission decided to use the former Danielsville Elementary School two blocks away as the core of a new and much larger county courthouse/government complex. The old school underwent a substantial renovation in 1996, with the actual courtroom and judicial offices part of a new addition to the old school in 1997-- all within a newly designed exterior. The result was essentially a new courthouse, although its official title is "Madison County Government Complex."|
|County Area||285.6 Square Miles|
Madison County was created on Dec. 5, 1811 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1811, p. 114). Created from portions of Clarke, Elbert, Franklin, Jackson, and Oglethorpe counties, Georgia’s 38th county was named for Pres. James Madison, who at the time held office as the nation’s fourth president.
No new counties have been created from Madison County, but between 1813 and 1877 the legislature made numerous transfers of land between Madison and neighboring counties.
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||The Madison County Journal|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|