Choose another Topic

Lincoln County



Courthouse
LocationLincolnton
Date Built1915
Architecture StyleNeoclassical Revival
DesignerG. Lloyd Preacher
Seat InformationThe 1796 act creating Lincoln County provided for commissioners to select a county seat and build a courthouse but further directed that elections and court sessions initially be held at the house of Joseph Stovall. Lincolnton was named county seat in 1800?. The legislature incorporated it as a town on Dec. 19, 1817 (Ga. Laws 1817, p. 85).
Courthouse DetailsInitially, Lincoln County court sessions were held in the house of Joseph [Josiah] Stovall. After Lincolnton was designated county seat in 1800, a stone courthouse was built. On March 2, 1874, the legislature approved the county borrowing $12,000 for construction of a new courthouse (Ga. Laws 1874, p. 326). That year, a new two-story courthouse was constructed. This building served until 1915, when the present courthouse was completed.
County Data
Population7996
Population 20008348
Population Growth-4.2
County SeatLincolnton
County Area257.3 Square Miles
Location MapLincoln County Location Map
History

Lincoln County was created from Wilkes County on Feb. 20, 1796 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1796, p. 9). Georgia’s 24th county was named for American Revolutionary war general Benjamin Lincoln (1733-1810). Lincoln had been in charge of the Continental Army’s southern department and later became Pres. George Washington’s first Secretary of War.

Web SiteVisit Web Site
Legal OrganThe Lincoln Journal
Chamber of Commerce Web SiteVisit Web Site
Historical Population
YearPopulation
2010 7,996
2000 8,348
1990 7,442
1980 6,716
1970 5,895
1960 5,906
1950 6,462
1940 7,042
1930 7,847
1920 9,739
1910 8,714
1900 7,156
1890 6,146
1880 6,412
1870 5,413
1860 5,466
1850 5,998
1840 5,895
1830 6,145
1820 6,458
1810 4,555
1800 4,766