|Architecture Style||Classical Modern|
|Designer||Cooper Carry Architecture|
|Seat Information||Jefferson [named for Pres. Thomas Jefferson], first settled at an unknown date, designated county seat in 1800, and incorporated Nov. 24, 1806.|
|Courthouse Details||This is the fifth courthouse for Jackson County. Prior to building of a courthouse, superior court was held at the home of Thomas Kirkpatrick beginning in Aug. 1796. In 1799, Clarkesboro was designated county seat of Jackson County and a courthouse was built. In 1800, the General Assembly moved the county seat to Jefferson, where a wooden courthouse subsequently was built. In 1820, a brick courthouse was built. The fourth courthouse was built in 1879 Because of rapid population growth in Jackson County, county officials began planning for a new courthouse in 2002 and purchased land outside the downtown area for consturction of a new courthouse and county government buildings. The project was completed in 2004.|
|County Area||343.0 Square Miles|
Jackson County was created from Franklin County on Feb. 11, 1796 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1796, p. 14). Portions of Jackson County were used to create the following counties: Clarke (1801), Madison (1811), and Barrow (1914).
Georgia’s 22nd county was named for Revolutionar War general James Jackson (1757-1806). After the war, Jackson served in both houses of Congress, resigning from the U.S. Senate in 1795 to return to Georgia to fight against the Yazoo Fraud. Because of his role leading to the repeal of the Yazoo Act, the General Assembly elected him as governor (1798-1801). Subsequently, the legislature elected him to return to the U.S. Senate.
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||The Jackson Herald|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|