|Designer||Steven B. Hill and H. Lloyd Hill Architects and Associates, Inc.|
|Seat Information||On Nov. 30, 1821, the General Assembly designated Gainesville as the permanent county seat of Hall County and incorporated it as a village (Ga. Laws 1821, p. 6). Gainesville was named for Virginian Edmund Gaines (1777-1849), who was a general in the War of 1812 and founder of Ft. Gaines in southwest Georgia in 1816.|
|Courthouse Details||Hall County's first courthouse was a simple log building built soon after the county's founding.In 1820, a new courthouse was buiilt halfway bestween Mule Camp Springs and Redwine Springs. In 1832, a brick courthouse was built in the public square in Gainesville. This structure burned in 1851, and a replacement was built--but it burned also in 1882. The county's next courthouse -- a brick structure -- was built in on South Bradford St. in 1884, but it was destroyed by a devastating tornando that hit Gainesville in 1936. Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt facilitated federal relief monies to rebuild the city, part of which went to a new courthouse completed in 1937. In 1975, a modern-styled addition was built on to the rear of the 1937 courthouse, resulting in the appearance that the combined building has two different main entrances. Continuing growth of Hall County led to the need for additional office space for county government departments, and in 2000 construction began of a new multi-story brick county courthouse adjacent to the old courthouse and annex. The new courthouse was completed in 2002.|
|County Area||429.2 Square Miles|
Hall County was created on Dec. 15, 1818, by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1818, p. 27). That legislation also created Gwinnett and Habersham counties—all from lands ceded by the Cherokee Indians on July 8, 1817 in the Treaty of the Cherokee Agency. Additional Cherokee lands were ceded to Georgia on Feb. 27, 1819 in the Treaty of Washington, and in an act of Dec. 16, 1819, the legislature added some of ceded land to the western portions of Habersham and Hall counties (Ga. Laws 1819, p. 23). No new counties were created from Hall County; however, on numerous occasions between 1818 and 1870, the legislature transferred small amounts of land between Hall and neighboring counties.
Georgia’s 45th county was named for Lyman Hall, one of Georgia’s three signers of the Declaration of Independence.
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||Gainesville Times|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|