|Designer||David Cuttino, Jr.|
|Seat Information||On Nov. 26, 1823, the General Assembly enacted legislation designating directing "parts of lots number two and nineteen, in the tenth and twelfth districts in said county, at a place now known and called by the name of Clarkesville" as the permanent county seat of Habersham County (Ga. Laws 1823, p. 176). The same legislation incorporated the county seat as a village. Clarkesville began as a small settlement sometime prior to 1820 and took on its name during the administration of Gov. John C. Clark (1819-1823). Clark (1776-1832) was the son of Gen. Elijah Clarke, for whom Clarke County was named.|
|Courthouse Details||Habersham County's first courthouse was a small wooden structure built in 1821 in the town square of Clarkesville. In 1832, this building was moved to the side of the square (where it became a bank), and its place a new two-story brick courthouse of simple design was constructed . This building served until 1898, when it was damaged by a mysterious explosion. That same year, the old courthouse was torn down and a large two-story brick courthouse with clock tower constructed in its place . In 1963, this courthouse was torn down, and Habersham's fourth and current courthouse was built the following year in an adjacent block. A combination bell tower/elevator was added to the front of the courthouse in 1983.|
|County Area||279.2 Square Miles|
Habersham County was created on Dec. 15, 1818, by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1818, p. 27). That legislation also created Gwinnett and Hall counties—all from lands ceded by the Cherokee Indians on July 8, 1817 in the Treaty of the Cherokee Agency. Additional Cherokee lands were ceded to Georgia on Feb. 27, 1819 in the Treaty of Washington, and in an act of Dec. 21, 1819, the legislature added some of ceded land to the western portions of Habersham and Hall counties (Ga. Laws 1819, p. 23). Remaining unallocated Cherokee lands ceded in 1817 and 1819 were added to Habersham and other Georgia counties in 1828 and 1829 (Ga. Laws 1828, p. 88 and Ga. Laws 1829, p. 98). (Later, portions of Habersham County were used to create the following counties: Cherokee (1831), Lumpkin (1832), White (1857), Banks (1858), and Stephens (1905).
Georgia’s 46th county was named for Joseph Habersham (1751-1815) of Savannah. Habersham was a leader in the independence movement in Georgia prior to the American Revolution.After the war, Habersham served as U.S. Postmaster General (1795-1801). Prior to his death, Habersham built a summer home near present-day Clarkesville. When the area became a county in 1818, it was named in honor of the famous Georgia political figure.
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||The Northeast Georgian|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|