Choose another Topic

Glascock County



Courthouse
County Courthouse View large image

Source: David Seibert

LocationGibson
Date Built1919
Architecture StyleNeoclassically derived
DesignerJ.W. McMillian & Son
Seat InformationGibson [named in honor of judge William Gibson, who donated $500 to help fund construction of county courthouse; designated county seat Dec. 19, 1857 (though a site for the town was yet to be selected by designated commissioners); the town site selected and settled in 1858; and incorporated Aug. 20, 1913].
Courthouse DetailsThis is Glascock County's second courthouse. The first was built in 1858 with a donation from William Gibson -- after whom the county seat is named. When the current courthouse was constructed, the old structure was removed intact and became a private residence. The courthouse was remodeled and expanded in 1942, and the interior was extensively renovated in 1973.
County Data
Population3082
Population 20002556
Population Growth20.6
County SeatGibson
County Area144.5 Square Miles
Location MapGlascock County Location Map
History

Glasock County was created from Warren County on Dec. 19, 1857 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1857, p. 35). Georgia’s 122nd county was named for Gen. Thomas Glascock (1790-1841), who fought in the War of 1812 and Seminole War and later served in the Georgia General Assembly and Congress.

Web SiteVisit Web Site
Legal OrganThe News and Farmer
Chamber of Commerce Web SiteVisit Web Site
Historical Population
YearPopulation
2010 3,082
2000 2,556
1990 2,357
1980 2,382
1970 2,280
1960 2,672
1950 3,579
1940 4,547
1930 4,388
1920 4,192
1910 4,669
1900 4,516
1890 3,720
1880 3,577
1870 2,736
1860 2,437