|Architecture Style||Neoclassical Revival|
|County Area||266.4 Square Miles|
Franklin and Washington counties were created on Feb. 25, 1784 by an act of the General Assembly (Mar. & Cr., p. 330). They were the first new counties established in Georgia after the Revolutionary War and were fashioned from lands ceded by the Cherokees and Creeks in the Treaties of Augusta in 1783.
Named for Benjamin Franklin, Georgia’s 9th county consisted of all ceded lands north of Cherokee Corner on the eastern tip of today’s Clarke County—an area that includes all of today’s Banks, Barrow, Clarke, Jackson, Oconee, and Stephens counties, plus portions of Habersham, Hart, Hall, Gwinnett, and Madison counties. Though the Georgia Land Office began granting headright and bounty land grants in the new county, it was several years before the county had enough inhabitants to organize a county government.
Created entirely from Franklin County were Jackson County (1796) and Habersham County (1818). Additionally, portions of Franklin County were used to help create the following counties: Madison (1811), Hart (1853), Banks (1858), and Stephens (1905).
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||Franklin County Citizen Leader|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|