|Architecture Style||Neoclassical Revival|
|Seat Information||The Dec. 11, 1826 act naming and organizing Coweta County provided that the first election of county officials take place on the first Monday in May 1827 at the house of James Caldwell (Ga. Laws 1826, p. 57). After that election, the justices of the county's inferior court were authorized to select a site for the county seat and provide for erection of a courthouse and other public buildings. However, until a county seat was designated, Coweta County superior and and inferior courts were to meet at the house of James Caldwell. On Dec. 20, 1828, the legislature designated Newnan county seat and incorporated it as a town (Ga. Laws 1828, p. 149). [On Dec. 26, 1823, the General Assembly had designated another town by the name of Newnan as county seat of Pike County. However, in 1825, the legislature moved Pike's county seat to Zebulon, after which Newnan vanished as a town.] Newnan was named for Gen. Daniel Newnan (1780-1851), who was Georgia's Secretary of State at the time Coweta County was created.|
|Courthouse Details||James Caldwell's house served as the initial courthouse of Coweta County. In 1828, Newnan was designated county seat, and a log courthouse was built here that year. This was replaced by a two-story brick courthouse in 1829 . This building was torn down and replaced by the present courthouse in 1904 . The structure was refurbished in 1975, retaining principal design features. The courthouse's interior and exterior were rehabilitated in 1989-90.|
|County Area||446.0 Square Miles|
On Feb. 12, 1825, a group of Creek Indians led by William McIntosh signed the Treaty of Indian Springs, in which they ceded all of their remaining lands in present-day Georgia. Subsequently, in an act of June 9, 1825, the General Assembly provided that the land ceded by the treaty be divided into five sections, surveyed into districts and land lots, and distributed by land lottery (Ga. Laws 1825 Extra. Session., p. 3). On Dec. 14, 1826, the legislature redesignated the five land sections as the counties of Lee, Muscogee, Troup, Coweta, and Carroll and provided for their organization (Ga. Laws 1826, p. 57). Additionally, the act provided that part of southern DeKalb County was transferred to Coweta County.
Despite the fact that the five counties were not named until Dec. 14, 1826, the date their respective boundaries were established - June 9, 1825 - is generally accepted as the date of their creation. Because the five counties were provided for in the same act, their order of creation is based on the order they were mentioned in the act - Lee, Muscogee, Troup, Coweta, and Carroll. Thus, Lee was Georgia’s 61st county, while Coweta was the 64th county.
Coweta County was named for the Coweta Indians, a group of Creek Indians that lived in and around Coweta, one of the largest and most important towns of the Lower Creek Indians. The Lower Creeks had two capital towns. Located near the western banks of the Chattahoochee River across from present-day Fort Benning (in what today in Russell County, Alabama), Coweta was the “red” capital - which meant that all discussions of war or conflict took place here. Across the river in Georgia was Cusseta, the “white” capital reserved for non-hostile matters, such as peaceful negotiations with whites.
Portions of Coweta County were used to create Campbell County (1828) and Heard County (1830).
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||The Newnan Times-Herald|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|