Choose another Topic

Return to Clay County

City of Fort Gaines


Incorporated1814
Population1107
Address101 Commerce Street
Fort Gaines, Georgia 39851
Phone(229) 768-2443
Fax(229) 768-2455
Email
Website
CountyClay
Description

Fort Gaines, established in 1814, is the county seat for Clay County. The city grew up around a fort on the Chattahoochee River established to protect settlers during the Creek Indian Wars.

Fort Gaines is named for the fort’s builder, General Edmund Pendleton Gaines. The city became a shipping point for cotton planters for many miles on both sides of the Chattahoochee River, remaining a key market until about 1858 when railroads replaced river freight.

Fort Gaines is one of the oldest cities in Georgia and home of the Lake Walter F. George Resort and Marina. The George T. Bagby Park and Lodge is also located on Lake Walter and has recreational facilities for boating, swimming, fishing or picnicking.

According to 2000 Census, the City of Fort Gaines had a population of 1,110 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population decrease of -11.1%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.