|Architecture Style||Neoclassical Revival|
|Designer||Bryan Architectural Firm|
|Seat Information||The law creating Chattooga County authorized the justices of the county's new inferior court to select the site of the county seat, purchase the necessary land, have the land divided into town lots, sell those lots, and use the proceeds to build a courthouse and jail. Until this was done, the legislation directed that county business take place at the house of John Henry (Ga. Laws 1838, p. 77). Subsequently, the inferior court may have designated Summerville as county seat. In any event, the General Assembly on Dec. 21, 1839 incorporated Summerville and made it the permanent county seat (Ga. Laws 1839, p. 210).|
|Courthouse Details||Chattooga County's first courthouse was a two-story structure built in 1840. The building continued in use until the present courthouse was built in 1909.|
|County Area||314.0 Square Miles|
Chattooga County was created on Dec. 28, 1838 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1838, p. 77). Created from Walker and Floyd counties, Chattooga County’s original boundaries were defined by law as:
. . . beginning on the Alabama line, at the corner of the 12th and 13th districts of the fourth section, and running thence east on said district line to the north east corner of the twenty-fifth district and third section, thence south on the district line to the south east corner of the same district, thence west of the district line to the north west corner of lot number five, in the 24th district of the third section, thence on a direct line to be run by the Surveyor for the county of Floyd, by the way of the south west corner of the fifth district and fourth section.
Georgia’s 93rd county was named for the Chattooga River that flows through the county. [Georgia has two different Chattooga rivers, with the second forming the eastern border of Rabun County in extreme northeastern Georgia.] “Chattooga” is a Cherokee word of debated origin and definition.
Between 1840 and 1856, the General Assembly transferred land between Chattooga and Floyd counties on ten occasions.
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||http://www.chattooga-chamber.org/|