City of Newton
|Incorporated||January 20, 1872|
|Address||146 Highway 91
Newton, Georgia 31770
Newton is the county seat of Baker County. Baker County was established in 1825 and was designated the county seat in 1831. The county was named for John Baker, a Colonel during the Revolutionary War. The city was incorporated January 20, 1872 and named for Sergeant John Newton of South Carolina, a soldier in the Revolutionary War.
The Baker County courthouse in Newton, built in 1900, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The courthouse was restored in the mid-1990s after being flooded by Tropical Storm “Alberta.”